Facebook is a wonderfully robust social networking site. There are tons of ways to connect with people and actually get to know them; you can write on their wall, send them messages, start a dialogue in a group.
However, there are plenty of ways to make yourself look unprofessional and turn people off. Here are some of them:
1. Invite dozens of people you don’t know to be friends. Don’t send any of them personal notes telling them why they should be your friend. They should all be grateful you wanted to be their friends. Don’t follow up by writing on the wall of new friends. It’s about how many friends you have, not how well you connect with them.
2. Send all these new friends flower requests and diamond requests every day. There are so many different requests, use as many as you can – daily.
3. Search YouTube and other sites for hilarious sexually explicit videos. Place them on your profile page to show off your sense of humour.
4. Every day there are new apps being written for Facebook. Add them all to your profile page. The more, the merrier.
5. Track down photos of you at parties where you over indulged and post them on your profile to show you’re a fun loving person.
6. Include a weird photo of yourself as your profile picture. Maybe you in a bikini, or with Halloween makeup. Better yet, include a cartoon, a photo of your dog or of some famous person. Don’t want to appear too professional.
7. Write posts promoting your products and services on all your friends’ walls. Don’t waste time chatting or getting to know people. You’re here to make money!
Of course I don’t want you to do any of these things. If you are using Facebook as a marketing tool, remember this is social media. Spend your time trying to build relationships with people and you’ll do fine.
Andrea J. Stenberg