A burning desire is not enough for achieving wealth, or any other major goal. You need to believe you can achieve this desire. Or as Napoleon Hill said, you must have faith.
Faith is the head chemist of the mind. When faith is blended with the vibration of thought, the subconscious mind instantly picks up the vibration, translates it into its spiritual equivalent and transmits it to Infinite Intelligence.
I interpret this a couple of ways. Faith or self confidence counteracts negative thoughts or blocks that might prevent you from achieving your goals. When you strongly believe you will achieve your goals two things happen. The Law of Attraction says when you couple a burning desire with focused thoughts, confidence that you can achieve your goal (faith), then the universe (or infinite intelligence) moves to help you achieve your goal.
A more grounded explanation is that by having faith in your ability to achieve your goals you look for and find opportunities that you might miss otherwise. You’re looking for ways to get results and you find them.
The good news is that a lack of faith or self confidence is not fatal to success. Hill believed that faith in yourself could be created by “autosuggestion”. He wrote, “The application of this principle may be made through a simple arrangement of positive thought impulses stated in writing, memorized, and repeated, until they become a part of the working equipment of the subconscious faculty of your mind.”
In other words, affirmations.
Here is a paraphrase of Hill’s Self-Confidence Formula to be written or spoken aloud daily:
- I know I have the ability to achieve my goals. I commit to taking action every day – action that moves me towards my goals.
- I realize that thoughts become reality. Therefore I will spend 30 minutes each day focusing on creating a clear mental picture of the type of person I must become in order to achieve my goals.
- My thoughts and self confidence have a major role in achieving success. I will spend 10 minutes each day developing self confidence.
- I have clearly written down my goal and will never stop until I have achieved it
- No success can be lasting unless it is built on fairness and justice. Therefore I will behave with integrity, fairness and kindness. I will cause others to believe in me because I will believe in them and myself.
Share your thoughts. What do you do to maintain a belief in yourself? What do you do when your confidence wavers?